The Local Government Pension Scheme is a national scheme specifically for employees of local councils and other related employers. Nationally the scheme has over 1.5 million contributing members and large numbers of pensioner and deferred benefit members.
The rules of the scheme are contained in statutory regulations and cover a multitude of events that can affect the scheme member during their time in the pension scheme and after leaving.
- As contributions are taken from your gross pay you will normally pay less tax
- Life assurance cover of 3 times your pay from the day you join the Scheme
- Option to increase your benefits via purchasing additional pension or investing in AVC's
- Early retirement option from age 55 (employer’s consent not required)
... not forgetting the substantial contribution your employer makes!
Top ten reasons to join
- Your employer shares the cost – In fact employers contributions are significantly higher than those paid by scheme members
- Life cover of three years pay - from the second you join. Unlike other forms of life insurance, there's no medical - it's open to all.
- If you are a taxpayer you get tax relief on all your contributions - even on extra payments you make to top up your pension.
- At retirement you will receive a pension for life with an option to convert some of it to a tax free lump sum.
- There are no hidden fees or charges - you simply pay a percentage of your pay.
- Two years membership is all that is needed to build up a pension so if you leave before retirement you will still receive a pension when you eventually retire.
- No investment risk - you get a guaranteed package of benefits which are backed by law.
- Protection for you in case you have to draw your benefits early through permanent ill health.
- Protection for your loved ones in the form of pensions for dependants if you die.
- Once you are drawing your pension it will go up in line with inflation, protecting you from rising prices.
You cannot join the Local Government Pension Scheme if you are 75 years or older.